The role of transportation in logistics chain
Purpose. The objective of the paper is to define the role of transportation in logistics for the reference of further improvement.
Design/methodology/approach. The basic principles of the research are historical, systematic and comparative methods, institutional and structural-functional approaches have been used.
Findings. The operation of transportation determines the efficiency of moving products. The progress in techniques and management principles improves the moving load, delivery speed, service quality, operation costs, the usage of facilities and energy saving. Transportation takes a crucial part in the manipulation of logistic. Reviewing the current condition, a strong system needs a clear frame of logistics and a proper transport implements and techniques to link the producing procedures. It was considered the efficiency of moving products in the logistics system. It was developed proposals to assist logistics managers, researchers and transportation planners to define and comprehend the basic views of logistics and its various applications and the relationships between logistics and transportation.
Research limitations/implications. The paper clearly provides the role of transportation in logistics for the reference of further improvement.
Originality/value. Transportation plays an important role in logistics system and its activities appear in various sections of logistics processes. Without the linking of transportation, a powerful logistics strategy cannot bring its capacity into full play. The development of logistics will be still vigorous in the following decades and the logistics concepts might be applied in more fields. Transportation and logistics systems have interdependent relationships that logistics management needs transportation to perform its activities and meanwhile, a successful logistics system could help to improve traffic environment and transportation development
2. Dykan', V.L. (2014), “Fundamentals of logistic integration in the formation of logistics systems through the formation of a territorial-industrial cluster”, Ukrains'ki zaliznytsi, vol. 9, Issue 15, pp. 23-26.
3. Kopytko, V.I. (2009), “Logistic approach in creating an effective mechanism for managing passenger transport by rail”, Mate-rialy I Mizhnarodnoi naukovo-praktychnoi konferentsi, [Abstracts of scientific works of І international scientific-practical conference], Marketynh i lohistyka v systemi menedzhmentu pasazhyrs'kykh perevezen' na zaliznychnomu transporti [Marketing and logistics in the system of passenger transportation management on the railway transport], DAZTU, Kyiv, Ukraine, pp. 54-57.
4. Korin', M.V. (2012), “The concept of creation of the logistics, information, innovation and marketing center “Promzalinovnika”, Visnyk ekonomiky transportu i promyslovosti, vol.39, UkrDAZT, Kharkiv, Ukraine, pp. 239-245.
5. Ho, J.K. (1997). European Journal of Purchasing and supply Chain Management, Vol.3.
6. Kumar, G.Santosh and Shirisha, P. (2014). Transportation The Key Player In Logistics Management, Journal of Business Management & Social Sciences Research (JBM&SSR) Volume 3, No.1, pp. 14-20.
7. Tilanus, B. (1997), Information Systems in Logistics and Transportation. Elsevier Science Ltd., UK.